Tractor Supply Company is the largest rural lifestyle retailer in the United States, and for over 80 years has provided essential farm and lifestyle products for recreational farmers, ranchers, and all who enjoy “Life Out Here.” Tractor Supply is a Fortune 500 company with over 1,800 stores in 49 states.
I was brought on as a copywriter for Tractor Supply through their partnership with Quad in August of 2019, and was tasked with assuming their distinctly practical yet neighborly brand voice to create copy for a number of channels including web, product, radio, digital animation, and SEO. I provide copy support across all departments within Tractor Supply and have had a hand in establishing copy standards for the company. I continue to work closely with Tractor Supply’s creative director and their team of talented designers to help give a voice to the company’s unique Out Here lifestyle.
To date, I have written for the following project types: Homepage copy, landing page copy, store signage, magazine and print copy, email copy, email subject lines and pre-headers, social ads, radio scripts, digital animation scripts, in-store radio scripts, app features copy for the App Store and Google Play, Google ad listing copy, exclusive-brand product naming, store event naming, letters and correspondence from leadership.
Below are select samples of projects mentioned above that best exemplify my ability to capture the brand voice of Tractor Supply Co. Please visit this link for a PDF-version of my early work portfolio, and this link for a more recent sample of work.
Landing Page Copy
Titles are linked to the live pages on Tractor Supply’s website.
Chick Days is one of Tractor Supply Co.’s most successful annual in-store and online events. Every two years, the campaign goes through a top-to-bottom design refresh — in 2019 I was tasked with reworking the landing page copy to help message an event that was as fun and enjoyable as it was critical to driving sales, and in 2021 I was tasked with reworking the copy to fit a more modern look. While Tractor Supply prides itself on being an industry leader in backyard chicken keeping, they want Chick Days to still feel inclusive and family-friendly. The results of both years were playful yet informative landing pages that have performed and are performing extremely well.
Tractor Supply Co. is a destination for horse and livestock show supplies. In 2020 they requested an overhaul of their popular Show Supplies landing page, including new copy for the page’s hero, intro section, section headers, and banners.
Every fall, Tractor Supply Co. releases a new Holiday Gift Guide to help highlight their wide product offering just in time for the holiday season. I wrote new copy for every element of Tractor Supply’s 2020 holiday gift guide, which has hit $1.6M in sales (up from $282K in 2019), 3.5M clicks (up from 77K in 2019), 14K orders placed (up from 2.5K in 2019), and an increase in overall conversion rate from 2.35% to 5.56%.
For 12 days in December, Tractor Supply releases limited-time daily deals in stores and online. In 2020, they wanted to rebrand this event from a generic “Daily Deals” theme to one that is more own-able by their brand. I worked on a list of name options and landed on December DEALights. With this theme in mind, I also wrote copy elements for the event’s seasonal landing page.
Tractor Supply Co. requested a spring refresh of their outdoor power equipment landing page for 2021, with messaging that felt powerful and helpful, yet still aligned with their brand’s neighborly tone of voice. I wrote new copy for the landing page’s hero, section headers, and banners.
Tractor Supply Co. requested a top-to-bottom refresh of their New Puppy Landing Page. Their direction for copy was to ensure the page maintained a neighborly tone while also properly messaging their wide selection of pet essentials and their expertise on the subject of puppies. I wrote new copy for the landing page’s hero, intro section, section headers, and banners.
The Tractor Supply homepage refreshes with new deals, sales, and brand messaging weekly or bi-weekly. I regularly write copy for hero events and sale banners. Samples of these are below.
In spring of 2020 when COVID-19 necessitated a nationwide stay-at-home order, there was a company-wide shift to messaging Tractor Supply Co. as an essential retailer, with everything customers need for their “Life Out Here.” This included writing homepage heroes and banners that encouraged Tractor Supply customers to try their hands at new hobbies like growing market-fresh produce at home, transforming their backyards to support at-home tailgates, stocking up on essentials, or tackling home organization projects.
The following are examples of holiday messaging on the homepage.
The following are examples of homepage messaging that drive traffic to landing pages for cold weather supplies, beekeeping supplies, and preparedness essentials.
App Store, App Experience & In-App Copy
In 2020, Tractor Supply launched their app, the Tractor Supply App. I was tasked with writing App Store & Google Play copy to share features and benefits of the app. I also regularly write in-app copy and copy to announce new app features and user experiences that are sent out via email and push notification. Below are examples of each.
Magazine Ad Copy
Social Ad Copy
Holiday Instagram Ads
Ridgecut Denim & Footwear Product Launch
In fall of 2020, Tractor Supply was announcing an extension to their exclusive line of workwear. To help maintain a consistent voice through the campaign, I wrote landing page and social copy for the launch of Ridgecut Toughwear denim and footwear that outperformed all previous campaigns and increased customer clicks by 80%, store visits by 43%, and overall return on ad spend by 36% (see linked PDF above for more details).
In-Store POP Copy
In-Store Kiosk Copy
Digital Animation/Video Ad Copy
I write scripts for 6-second, 15-second, and 30-second digital animation and video ads that support sales or marketing campaign dates. Listen to these scripts by clicking on the links below.
Below is an example of a single video campaign I wrote scripts for announcing Tractor Supply’s new garden center with 6-second, 15-second, and 30-second versions.
6-Second Script: Shop Tractor Supply’s new Garden Center, stocked with live plants, outdoor furniture, grills, and more!
15-Second Script: Tractor Supply’s spacious new Garden Center is stocked with everything you need to grow, grill, and enjoy your outdoor space, like live plants, outdoor furniture, grilling equipment, and more! Visit your local Tractor Supply to experience a new way to shop for Life Out Here.
30-Second Script: Tractor Supply’s spacious new Garden Center offers over three thousand square feet of additional lawn and garden products to grow, grill, and enjoy your outdoor space, including a wide assortment of live plant goods, outdoor furniture, veggies, soil and mulch. Plus, it invites a year-round shopping experience for our neighbors who can’t get enough of their grills, with an impressive selection of grills and grilling accessories. Visit your local Tractor Supply store to experience a new way to shop for Life Out Here.
Radio and In-Store Radio Ad Copy
I write scripts for 30-second and minute-long targeted radio and in-store radio ads that support sale or marketing campaign initiatives. Samples of these scripts are below.
1. Fall Super Sale — Tractor Supply’s Fall Super Sale has arrived, and we’ve lowered prices on 100s of items! Now through October 13th, save on Husqvarna, Purina Pet Food, Cub Cadet and DEWALT. Whether you’re gearing up for the cold or taking care of your pets, we’ve got what you need to get the job done. Like toughwear from Carhartt and Ridgecut, and the best prices on brands like 4health and Pedigree Pet Food. Now through Sunday, shop our Fall Super Sale by heading to your local Tractor Supply store or TractorSupply.com.
2. TSC New App Features — Download the Tractor Supply App for free today in the App Store and Google Play. It lets you shop faster, track orders, schedule deliveries, and manage your Neighbor’s Club rewards — all from one convenient place. And now you can get even more out of the app with new features that make Life Out Here easier for you. Save payment information for faster checkout, get live veterinarian care for your pets, experience guided curbside pickup, and so much more! Download the free Tractor Supply App today — the only app for Life Out Here.
3. Miranda Lambert’s MuttNation — Hey y’all, it’s Miranda Lambert! I’m so excited to introduce On the Farm – my new line of pet food and treats available exclusively at Tractor Supply. On the Farm products are inspired by life on the farm, made with real meat and farm-fresh ingredients for simple, balanced nutrition and a taste your dog or cat will love. The best part? Every On the Farm purchase you make benefits animals in need through MuttNation – my foundation that helps as many pets as possible find safe and happy homes. Try On the Farm pet food and treats today! Only at Tractor Supply.
4. Holiday Shopping — Tractor Supply is your holiday shopping destination, with gifts that are sure to make your Christmas merry and bright! From pet supplies and home decor, to power tools and workwear, we have something special for everyone on your list. Shop thousands of products to find the perfect gift for your loved one, and don’t forget to stuff their stocking with a Tractor Supply gift card. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in store, shop our extended assortment of gifts online at TractorSupply.com. A merry and bright Christmas starts here, at Tractor Supply!
5. Join Neighbor’s Club — Life Out Here has its rewards — join our Neighbor’s Club to experience just how rewarding it can be! Members receive exclusive Tractor Supply offers, seasonal rewards, and benefits just for joining, like birthday surprises, automatic giveaway entries, receipt-free returns, and more. Signing up is free and easy. Ask a Team Member how you can join Neighbor’s Club today!
6. Lawn and Garden HQ — Welcome to your local homegrown headquarters. Find everything you need to get growing in your backyard, from garden tools and power equipment to soil and live plants. At Tractor Supply, you can shop a huge selection of lawn and garden products from top-rated brands like Troy-Bilt, Scotts, Miracle Gro, and Greenworks. Plus, shop powerful tools like tillers and zero-turns to help break ground in your garden and grow market-fresh produce right in your own backyard. Find everything you need at Tractor Supply — for Life Out Here.